Sunday, March 12, 2006

Ukulele Urge

In the past few months I have been thinking an awful lot about what instrument (if any) I would really, really enjoy learning. I have found that piano and guitar are both wonderful instruments, but I have a hard time getting into learning them. I have discovered that I have a love for the ukulele. It's true. And Jay just downloaded Israel Kawaoliokemekaokekiome'kwe (that is not his last name but it is something impossible like that) and that doesn't help matters any since he is (was...unfortunately he passed away in 1997 at the early age of 38) an amazing vocalist and ukulele player, and was a deeply respected musician in Hawaii. That and Jack Johnson plays the ukulele. Jay and I talked about it tonight and we have decided to save up in the summer to buy me a ukulele so that I can begin learning it. I can't believe how excited I am about this.

Check this out. I am hoping it will be my baby by August.

And some cool history...the word "ukulele" is thought to mean "jumping flea" after the first ukulele player, Juao Fernandes, arrived in Hawaii and played the instrument with incredibly rapid finger movement and natives there said it was like watching jumping fleas.

P.S. Jay just told that Israel's last name is actually "Kamakawiwo'ole." He's worth many a listen. Some of you may have heard his version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."